Saturday, September 5, 2015

Out and About in Orlando - Sweet by Holly

I checked out a cupcake place today as well - Sweet by Holly.  They were on Cupcake Wars on Food Network before and I've been wanting to check them out, because they offer gluten free cupcakes!
 They had several different options for gluten free cupcakes - vanilla with vanilla frosting, chocolate with chocolate, raspberry, or peanut butter frosting, and red velvet with cream cheese frosting.

Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcake
I decided to go with the vanilla and vanilla frosting.  The gluten free cupcakes were slightly smaller than the regular cupcakes, but that was fine by me.  It was the perfect size for me.  I have to say it was honestly not the best gluten free cupcake I have tried.  The cake was a little bit dry which does seem to be common for gluten free cupcakes (at least the ones I have tried in the past).  It was also not overly sweet, which was fine by me, but if you were expecting a super sugary cupcake, this was not it.  The frosting was really good and sweet though, and made up for the slightly dry/not as sweet cake.  Two other family members were there, one got a red velvet cupcake and one got chocolate peanut butter, and they both enjoyed them very much.
Red Velvet and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes (NOT gluten free)

We also got a few mini cupcakes, none of which were gluten free.  I cheated a little bit and did try the red hot red velvet mini cupcake, which was cinnamon red velvet with a cinnamon cayenne cream cheese frosting.  (I do seem to be able to eat small amounts of gluten like that occasionally without it affecting me very much - can't recommend it for everyone but it works for me.)
That mini cupcake was delicious and much more moist than the gluten free one.

I'm not sure I would make a special trip back there again, but if I was in the area and in the mood for a cupcake I would probably stop in.   It would be nice to see a little more variety with the gluten free cupcakes - there were probably 20 or 30 regular flavors, and just a few gluten free flavors, but at the same time it is great to have those few options available and to be able to get a cupcake with the rest of my family!


Mini cupcakes (NOT gluten free)

No comments:

Post a Comment